Saturday, July 01, 2006

Impossible is Nothing

Walk into your home at just about any time you please. As soon as you close the door (don’t have to bother really), you unbutton your shirt and drop it on the chair in the hall. Sit on the chair, remove your shoes and casually nudge them to a side..socks still on, you lounge a bit longer in your trousers..sit on the same chair and put your feet on the bed. The sole purpose of the bed is to serve your feet, and the newspapers, and the bag, and the mobile phone, and just about anything you decide to put on it. You certainly don’t sleep on it.

So there you sit in the evening (or night) reading the morning’s paper..you read the sports section as usual, and if you are reading the Sunday Indian Express, then you also read (more drool actually) the Reader’s ask section..and you run your sinful eyes over all the pictures on the page. You feel bored. You walk over to your music system in your bedroom and play your favourite CD. That’s a hard thing to do since all the CDs there are all your favourites..Music is playing. And then you remember that football is showing too. So you switch the TV on. The TV is conveniently placed right next to the music system. The remote lies where you left it, on the mattress on the floor. You walk over and plonk yourself there. FIFA is happening. You switch channels. A lazy cricket ground. Sanjay Manjrekar at his confused and ignorant best again. Switch again. FTV. This time you watch longer. But you switch channels again. AXN, HBO, Star Movies, you watch them all.

Time for dinner, or perhaps, time for a ride. You change into jeans, leave the trousers you were wearing on the same old chair, take your keys, and you are off on your bike. Where will you have dinner today? You are spoilt for choice. You take your time to decide. You’ve got all the time in the world.

It’s 10 PM now. You munch on snacks on the bed while you are watching TV. When you are done, you don’t bother to leave what’s left of it back in the kitchen. Leave it by the bed instead. Continue to watch TV. Switch it off if you want to. Lay your hands on a book. Any book. Read it for a while. Get bored. Put it aside. 11.30 PM. You have office the next day. Turn on the music system. Listen to Eric Clapton. Turn off the lights. Hope you dream.

Such are the joys of bachelorhood. Live how you want. Do what you please. Impossible is nothing.

26 comments:

APUGONNAB said...

me first, me first!!!

I envy you!! What a life.. A compliment to add here - ur house is clean & neat too!! (atleast whenever I have 'surprised' u)..

It was a great chance meeting huh, this week! :D

Macabreday said...

Ever thought of the fact that a different kind of life awaits you, a few years from now?? Not that we have experienced it, but i am sure there is some thrill to it. U know what i mean rite? lol... it would be interesting to read ur post then. lol. cant wait :)

Sumo said...

Hey Shain...macabreday does make an interesting point....

As for bachelorhood, good fer ya coz u live alone...moi?? i have to get yelled at everytime i leave nething lying arnd, by Mom!!!

So, who's better prepared for the "after" life?? Time will tell.....
(sombre sepulchural music!!!)

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your freedom while you can Kiddo ....
I hear that you are getting hitched soon... Now dont tell me that Mom didnt speak to you dude.............

Cheers
Big B

Anonymous said...

watching too much of fifa eh? ;) And trust me... when you are a bachelor but living with your family its not that great! :(

Everyman said...

@ Aparna - Congrats on having come first! You shall be rewarded for your sincere efforts the NEXT time we meet :-D Great chance meeting definitely..pity it was short-lived!

@ Mac - a few years from now?? Hell man, the rate at which my hairline is receding from all directions,those few years better get over soon..else I would write a similar piece when i am 40!

Everyman said...

@ Sumo - Your definitely better prepared for 'afterlife'..though that depends on what (who rather) you land up with! you might have to pick things dropped around by her!!!!!

@ Big B - THAT'S HEARSAY!!!! OF COURSE I WD GET HITCHED..SOMEDAY!!!!!BUT DEFINITLEY NOTHING IN THE PIPELINE! NOW DONT GO SPREADING RUMOURS!

Everyman said...

@Greyshades - My heartfelt sympathies are with u man! A bachelor staying with his folks is like..is like...hell..it's so bad that you will have to ask Sidhu for a sidhuism to put it in perspective!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kiddo and folks around him !!!!

I aint lying.. Kiddo is definitely getting hitched soon.. Me thoughts that he must have had informed all of you bout this...........

Big B

Everyman said...

Soon is very very relative Bro..I wd've informed my readers, only, I don't know myself..

Reminds me of when I returned to college after the vacations in 2004 and my students asked me about my wife!!

APUGONNAB said...

@everyman - soon is relative - its just a matter of how close she is to u! :D

Sorry, am in a very cheezzzie mood today!

Macabreday said...

ok everyman, spill the beans. come on :)

Priya Saini said...

hmmm...strange my days also read like that almost even though am not a bachelor..am a bachelorette though

Everyman said...

@ Big B, Appu & Mac - Nothing like a lil' controversy to boost comments :-DDD But honestly..it's all gas no S@#t! If there is something to it, then it would be my next post! Blogger's honour!

Arjun said...

That felt like a scene from a Bollywood movie. Everything perfect. ;)

Anonymous said...

To all folks out there,

I am telling the truth and nothing but the truth.. I swear... Scout's Honour ..... Something is really cooking people..........Lol

Cheers,

Big B

Jenn said...

Hello. Thanks for dropping by. I know you painted it to be ideal but still sounds lonely to me. I live with my dad and sister and I do leave everything everywhere and do pretty much what I please (the folks don't bug me, they know better) and I hang out with my friends as much as I can and bug a million people in blogworld.

When I was in Aus and lived alone and holed up in my room under a blanket shivering with cold, I drank lots of wine and wrote suicidal poetry. I don't like living alone, dude, honestly.

So you getting married or not? And if so, how come you don't seem to know about it?

Anonymous said...

varkychaayaaahhh!!! you getting HITCHED! *gasp!* appom ente kaaryam endhaavum? :'-(

k, jokes apart...who, where, when, WHY?!?

big b..keep talking...

greyshades...muahs! winks!

... said...

huh!! wonder where my comment disappeared to!

basically me is back...
you've described a wonderful day... just wonder if there is more then you have put down...

The Sullen Comic said...

HOOOO HAAAAAAAAA................
in the words of Col Frank Slade(Scent Of A Woman)........"You Got Me All Misty Eyed"

Best of luck for ze PENNUKAANAL
CUTICURA POWDER,RASNA, PAZHAM PORI, TEA , KAARNAVARS IRRITATING ...... heaven

Nandhu said...

how to write well about nothing at all. ur blog is a lesson in that. like a fully filled gas bag. but feels really nice to read.

Sumo said...

Well...well...well...looks like the "after" life is fast approaching for u!!! Still, I will grant u ur "Blogger's honour" and wait fer u to announce it to us.
As regards my after life....after reading ur post, i sure hope i dont get hitched to ur female version!!!

Everyman said...

HELL!!The situation is getting out of hand!!! Why doesnt the news that i am still single and really really looking not spread as fast????

For all ur informations :
I am not getting married..not anywhere near yet..mom said there was a ghost of a proposal, i said no..that's all! I SWEAR!!!

Everyman said...

@Jen : It wasnt meant to be an ideal pic..There are downs to living alone - like it gets really boring when there is a powercut and its all dark around u..and power cuts have been happenin quite frequently of late with the monsoons in Kerala :-D

Apart from that, I guess staying alone is not all that bad..U might feel lonely sometimes, but hey, that happens when u are lord of all u survey :-D

Everyman said...

@ Helga - Karuthammeye vittitu njaan engotum poovilla! Ithinte pinnil Big B-yudey karuttha kaigalaanu!!! And dont 'muah Greyshades here! not in front of me!!

Jokes apart - nothing's happenin!!!period!

@ Reprobate -errmmm....u missed out the girl in that list :-I

@Phoenix - Gas bag???????????? Talk abt left handed compliments!

@ Sumo - May u never get Everywoman!

Anonymous said...

(ho! ippozha shwaasam nere veenadhe!) enikke modhalaaliye MAATHREM madhi. n abt grey shades...njaan pezhachittila! illa! uhuhuhuhuhuhuh!! *sob! wail!*