Saturday, May 20, 2006

Oil's Well...oh well...

I had always wanted to have a massage. It had been on my ‘Things to do atleast once in my life’ wishlist for about the past 5 years. Tourist brochures showing lazy foreigners being given the royal treatment by Indian masseurs in idyllic locations would always scream out for my attention. Another source of temptation was movies. They always show the villains being massaged into ecstasy by some moll or doll. I wasn’t tempted by the villain part, but the offer of having a couple of beautiful women run their hands over you was enough to agree to even play the part of a villain (of course, even THAT doesn’t come my way..yet another of the tragedies of my life!). So when I made it to Varkala for my short ‘break’, a massage was right there on top of my list. And unlike numerous other instances in the past, this time, I managed to achieve an objective.

But then, where’s the ordinariness of it all if things go just as you want them to?

Somewhere in the deep dark corners of my mind, I had a picture of a masseuse. Oriental, extremely beautiful, gentle hands, and err..a host of other features. That was my vision. Reality sucked. Not the massage, mind you..that was definitely good..the person doing it though, could have done with quite a few changes-starting with gender.

The masseur was a man dressed in white. Sort of looked like a male nurse. He led me into a room which had a wooden bed-like structure. He asked me to undress and handed me a ..well..i don’t know how to describe the cloth that he gave me..it looked like something out of God’s Must Be Crazy..if you remember how the tribals were dressed in that..Let me just say that once I actually managed to ‘wear’ it, there wasn’t much left to imagination.

This Ayurvedic (Swedish was not an option) massage was something called ‘Abhyangam’. There was a lot of oil doing the rounds on my body. Right from the head down to the soles of my feet. And, to complete the atmosphere of relaxation, there was soft Indian classical music playing in the background. The massage in itself was very clinical. Not harsh, not rough, yet very clinical. He would do my left hand and then my right. Then my left leg, then my right. His hands would go clockwise, then anti clockwise. All very calculated. The massage done, he led an oil covered me to the steam bath and left me there for close to 10 minutes. I’d never previously seen sweat creeping out of my skin and dripping down. I saw it then. The grand finale was a disappointingly ordinary shower to get rid of all the oil that remained.

One hour and about 1600 bucks later, I came out of the Ayurvedic Massage Centre at Taj Garden Retreat, Varkala. My body was feeling great ( I’d like to think so after having spent so much of money!) my wallet was feeling not so great. I mentally struck out one item off my wishlist. A filmi version of the massage though, someday, would be just great…

Shain

9 comments:

Macabreday said...

1600 bucks for a massage, u deserved a different gender.

Anonymous said...

Bro wen you come to Dubai we shall go 4 a real Massage a Thai one ( Remember Enter The Dragon ) :)

Shawn

Sumo said...

Whenever I go for a haircut, my barber seems soooo enthu to gimme a head massage, but somehow I seem to get angrier by the minute whenever its done!!!

As for ur Ayurvedic massage....did it actually help??

Oh..and one piece of advice....do take up Shawn's offer!!!

Nandhu said...

knowing you, i thought u were smart enough to get the gender right. i got a head massage for 100 bucks two weeks ago.the gender was wrong again but it was great and relaxing. to prove that, i slept for three hours after that.

Musafir said...

well... shain... good that i didn't spoil the fun by telling you how the massage (and masseur) would be :D :D but more importantly, for someone who teaches people to tie their tie properly, an indian one shouldn't have challenged you much :D :D

my wallet was 800 bucks lighter, but the whole experience was wonderful... particularly the effortlessness with which you go to sleep after that....

i like the head massage that my barber gives me, the cold feeling just seeps into the skull...

but i guess you should take your Big B's offer...

APUGONNAB said...

hey..

I got a massage done for 100 bucks!!!! at my house!! and that felt great! I dint want the other gender, but hey, ur case is slightly different!!

Go Dubai! Go Gooooooa!?!?!?

Everyman said...

@Mac - I know buddy! I deserved better...whoever said life was fair!

@ Bro - Yea! We ( ATleast I.. :D) should go for a Thai massage..in fact any nationality wd do as long as its not Ayurvedic!

@Sumo - I will take my bro up on his offer man..the only prob is that i will have to pay thru my nose to get there! And yes..the massage did feel good..it felt really good..TWAS JUST THE GENDER!

Anonymous said...

no pictures this time, varkychaaya? :-)

Everyman said...

@ Kutty - Nice try! Ha!!