Saturday, May 06, 2006

My Conversations with a Bellboy



Checked in one fine morning at the Taj Varkala for what was going to be a rather interesting 2 day vacation. My cousin was to join me later that day. I had just a small satchel with me and I didn’t mind carrying that. But the bellboy would have none of that. I didn’t want to disappoint him. He opens the door to my room and gracefully ushers me in.

“Your room, sir”
“ Thank you”
(He walks across the room to the other side and reveals an exit to the garden)
“You have a door to the garden on that side sir”
“Oh yes..thanks..”
(He points to the television on a table)
“You have a color television on the table sir”
“Aah..yes..thanks” (yet again)
“ Is there anything else sir?”
“ No, that will be all..thanks..”

He smiles and makes his exit. I wonder why he was pointing out things that I could already see. I was just about to close the door when he came in again..

“The bathroom is to the left sir.”
“Ok..I can see that.”
“The mini-bar is beside the bed.”
“Err..thanks.”
“Your TV remote is on the table, sir”
“Thanks.”
“Is there anything else sir?”
“Err, no” I reply..a bit more emphatically..

I politely close the door after he leaves.

Analyse that!

13 comments:

zoxcleb said...

its obvious!!

he was waiting for u to tip him!!! :-)

Macabreday said...

and did you?

Everyman said...

@ zoxcleb - It was obvious, but the way he was pointing out things in the room....was howlarious!

@ Mac - No I dint bud!Lorl! Maybe that's why he was trying REALLY hard!

Macabreday said...

Ha ha... shain, i couldnt help but think abt those puny phone boy n other chaps back in the hall, askin fr tips..lol :) whats funny is not them askin for it, but the way they did it. hangin around ur room and smilin at ya, and if u gave a tip, that would mean an extra lime juice during lunch and maybe the leg of a slightly healthy chicken:)

zoxcleb said...

hmm.. it kinda reminds me of Home Alone 2 , when the kid is lost in NY and stays in a five star hotel....

Sumo said...

So....did ya tip him or not?? After all, he had really worked HARD to make sure u cud see everything properly. :-D

APUGONNAB said...

Its when they ask like this that we ont tip them...otherwise, when they r just 'waiting' on us at the restaurant, we give them 8% of the food bill - mayb they shd take the hint, what say? ;)

howlarious -now thats a new word :DDD

Anonymous said...

So did ya tip the soul?

Everyman said...

@ Sumo & Greyshades : The answer to the Ultimate Question : No! I refused to take the hint :)

Anonymous said...

Attaboy! so did ya find the laundry missing? ;)

Nandhu said...

da maire, what were u doing in the taj in the first place. u were supposed to be broke... explain that to us first.

Arjun said...

Waiting to be tipped, of course! How could you have missed that?! ;)

Arjun said...

Refused to take the hint, I see. I'm glad this isn't Europe where they tell you how much you are supposed to give them; no hints, whatsoever. India has many, many plus points, indeed. :)